The oldest son, Alex, is addicted to drugs and spends his days on the streets. He has been involved with prostitution, violence, and crime since a young age. The younger siblings and the mom are afraid of him. He steals from them and sells their few belongings on the streets to support his drug habits.
Gerald is genuine and kind. He is curious and an overcomer. He loves learning and got the highest marks in his entire school in his national exams. He asks many questions and wants to soak up all the information he can. He reminds me of what faith is.
Wonder is beautiful. His smirk lights up an entire room and he has a pure servant's heart. His mom told me yesterday that Wonder is her "cane" and she would be lost without him. He is mature and responsible far beyond his 10 years. He loves baseball, school, and fried chicken.
Little Jenny will change the world. At 6, she is fearless. Last week she got her tonsils out and when I asked her if it hurt she said "No, it was awesome. I got to watch a lot of TV and drink gatorade. My favourite's red." She can count to 10 in english & french and she has personality like no little girl I have ever met before. Her mom calls her "mi alegria" or " my joy". She is overflowing with life and with joy.
I am amazed by them. I love walking up to their door and saying only one word and they know exactly who it is by my voice. Their hugs are strong and their hearts are stronger. Their home has always been a place that reminds me of victory, of hope, and of resilience. Yesterday we were welcomed into their home to find that they are hurting, they are scared, and they are losing hope. Their landlord has told them they have to move and they have no where to go. They have no income and food is scarce. They are afraid to leave their home because people steal from them. No one should live with these kinds of fears.
As we were leaving, little Wonder grabbed my hand and took me outside. He asked me quietly if I had plans that afternoon. I told him no. He said that he had a baseball game and wanted us to come watch him. He told me all the other kids have families there that watch them play. We promised him we'd see his game and it was the first time in a long time that he really seemed like a 10 year old to me.
He played like a star and told his coach that we were there to watch, and they put him up to bat first.
Yesterday we prayed and we cried with them. My heart hurts for this family and I am believing in brighter days. I am believing in not only a safe house, but a safe home. I am believing in the God who loves them far more than I can to come through for them. I am believing in Him to restore their hope. I am believing in a solution and for guidance. I am believing in Him to use my hands and feet to show how radically He loves them and every single person I meet. I am so small but He is so big.
"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him." -
-1 Corinthians 2:9.
Mom, Jenny, Gerald, and Wonder.
Wonder all ready for his game.
That smirk.
joy.




No comments:
Post a Comment