Saturday, April 25, 2015

Casey.


In the last house build I got to be a part of, there were a few other houses built closely behind the one we were building. As always, a million children gathered outside the front of the house to watch the progress and play with the white people. But behind the house there were always four or five kids- the shy ones. The watchers. 

One little girl caught my attention on the first day. Her name was Casey. She was maybe 3 years old and somehow always remembered by name. I would walk out the back door of the house and she would greet me with big brown eyes and a reluctant smile. She had something mischievous about her. On day 2 (without me noticing) she started following me around. All of a sudden, Casey was holding my hand as I walked around. She would stand close as the other kids asked me to take their pictures. Time came for me to start setting up the tables for lunch. Little Casey watched with big eyes. I asked her to go home and come back after lunch so we could play. I turned away and heard little sobs. My thoughts were, “Child, I’ve spent half a day with you. Why is it devastating that you go home now? Where are your parents? Also, where are your shoes?” I felt my heart break. I picked her up and carried her home. I sat with her and assured her that I would be back to come get her later. I felt overwhelmed as I realized the impact of even just a little bit of time. As I turned to go, she asked me to take a picture of her. I took a picture with her and she didn’t smile. I pointed to her face and asked her, “Who is that little girl?” “That’s Casey.” “She’s beautiful! But she’d be more beautiful if she smiled.” So we took another picture. No smile. “Casey, why won’t you smile? You’re smile is beautiful!” She looked at me, smiled, and said, “Because you can’t make me.” I laughed and tickled her. Laugher erupted from her little face. We may not have taken a smiling picture, but in her I saw resilience and a joy that cannot be matched. 



[I pray you never lose that strength. 
May you never lose that fire in you. 
May you always fight for what matters, 
dear child. I pray that children like her
will grow to fight for the things that 
matter here. I pray that I can be more 
like Casey in standing firm and also 
showing my heart.] 


No comments:

Post a Comment