Monday, April 6, 2015

empty handed but not forsaken

Well, hey. 

I hope all is well in the land of eternal winter! To say the least, my life looks nothing like I thought it would right about now & I couldn't be more grateful. For those who do not know, about a month and a half ago I left university and came back to the home of my heart- the DR. For the last seven years I have been falling more and more in love with this country. Anyone who has been in my life for any length of time can testify to that! But this time I'm so blessed to be sharing this adventure with the best friend I've got, Miss Courtney Jones. She keeps me laughing and sometimes we look at each other and say "What even are our lives." It makes no sense, but the God who has never made sense to our minds is with us. And I am grateful.

It was a hard transition for me to take steps not knowing what the days would hold. While I'm happy to serve in ministry where ever I needed, I don't want to live someone else's dreams or try and live off someone else's passion. Proverbs says "Where there is no vision, people perish." I was frustrated and waiting for God to show me my place here- His vision for me. I felt that He was saying, "My child, I have not forgotten you. You may feel empty handed, but you are not forsaken." I struggle with feeling like I need to have all the answers. I think we all do- we're human. I hate the unknown and I am fearful of failure. I feel empty handed, as thought I am walking blindly. Yet I walk with the One who holds the stars in place. 

After a few weeks, God started planting something in mine and Courtney's hearts at the same time. Homes of Hope is a program run here where teams come to build homes for families in need in three days. There are always a million children running around, wanting to help, looking for new friends in the teams. While they are well meaning and super cute, they get in the way and can be more of a hinderance to the worksite than a help. There are also many power tools and it is dangerous for the children to be running around. Myself and Courtney are going to be starting a children's program to run alongside of the builds to keep these children occupied and also being able to reach communities, apart from the families receiving the homes. There are teams coming steadily until September, and we are excited and planning for the coming months. If you want to pray for us, feel free. If you feel lead to financially support this ministry, feel free. 

But above all, God is good! Each day we have the craziest of adventures & I wouldn't change a thing. He is faithful to finish what He has started. 


["Work for the well being of the city where I have sent you, and pray to the Lord for this. For if it is well with the city you live in, it will be well with you." -Jeremiah 21:4] 


2 comments: