Monday, January 25, 2016

By faith

The words "By faith" are used over 20 times in Hebrews 11. 

Faith can be defined (thanks dictionary.com) as "belief that is not based on proof" or "confidence or trust in a person or a thing". 

If I'm being honest, there are things that I find easy to let God control and things I would much rather hold onto. Bank accounts, relationships, future planning- these are things I would much rather control myself. But as I read over Hebrews 11, I am shaken over and over by the words I found there. 

God didn't say, "By strategic planning," 
He didn't say, "Because of financial security,"
He didn't use, "After months of confirmation," 
And He definitely didn't say, "Because it made sense," 

He said "By faith,". 

I've often heard this chapter of the Bible referred to as the "Faith hall of fame" or the "Heroes in the faith". I find this funny. When I think of a "Hall" of famous or outstanding people, they are often people who have done something extraordinary, therefore should be recognized for their actions. What I find in Hebrews 11 is not a list of people who did something completely outstanding in the eyes of The Father; rather a list of examples for us to follow. 

I've heard the story of Noah my whole life. It becomes repetitive and somehow seems normal to my brain. But it isn't normal. God asked Noah to build a freaking huge boat because there was going to be a flood. Did it make sense? Nope. Did people think he was out of his mind? Yes. Did he face being misunderstood? Yuh. Maybe Noah had times where he thought "Really, God? This is what You wanted me to do?" But what I see in the story is God saying, "Noah, do it this way." and Noah obeys. Every time. This was the kind of action that God called faithful. This is the kind of faith that deserved mentioning thousands of years later. 

God speaks- Noah does. It's really that simple. We complicate, we question, we doubt. But faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance in the things that we can not see. It's trusting the Creator to fill in the blanks that we do not comprehend, the same way He did for Noah, Abraham, for Moses, and for all of the ones we consider to be "heroes" in the faith. May we all strive for that kind of faith in Him. They left their homelands, they built boats (?!), they walked through oceans, they prayed for strangers and saw healing, they walked around buildings until they fell down, defeated giants, shut the mouths of lions, and they raised people from the dead! They did it all just because He said so. Noah didn't know that in 2016 we'd be using his life as a children's story worldwide. They didn't know the whole story. They took God's words seriously, and He blessed them and called them faithful. What greater reward is there? 

2 Corinthians talks about living by faith and not by sight. Do we do that? Do we believe in the parts of the story that God has promised? Or do we inwardly write our own story, for when people ask uncomfortable questions? I am guilty of feeling the need to fill in the blanks. Somehow we think we'd better have a backup plan in case He doesn't come through. 

Somehow this blog feels unfinished to me, but for today this is all I have to write. May we be challenged in our faith to not settle at comfort. I refuse to take His word lightly. 


What is He asking of you? Will you step into the world of unknows and uncertainty to obey the King of Kings? 





2 comments:

  1. Mairi, are you really only 20?? I saw a "like" on an instagram foto of mine accompanied by your blog address so off I went exploring or creeping as my daughter says. So very glad I did.There is nothing I can add to your blog on faith. It is my life,moving ahead in obedience not always hearing " way to go!" More often the real experts said " do you have a clue what you are doing?". Nope. Ignorance can be truly bliss I realized much later as I observed what God had done in building a home for at risk seniors that operates today. I believe that the results of obedience show clearly 'Who' is at work when we simply follow where He leads.All He wants is faith with feet.
    FB: Hablando Menos Amando Mas AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mairi, are you really only 20?? I saw a "like" on an instagram foto of mine accompanied by your blog address so off I went exploring or creeping as my daughter says. So very glad I did.There is nothing I can add to your blog on faith. It is my life,moving ahead in obedience not always hearing " way to go!" More often the real experts said " do you have a clue what you are doing?". Nope. Ignorance can be truly bliss I realized much later as I observed what God had done in building a home for at risk seniors that operates today. I believe that the results of obedience show clearly 'Who' is at work when we simply follow where He leads.All He wants is faith with feet.
    FB: Hablando Menos Amando Mas AC

    ReplyDelete