I am Mairi. Please do not hear this as a message of
insecurity, but as a truth that has brought me into a freedom I cannot explain.
I am just 20 years old. I am not qualified to do anything at all. I am an average
human being with my normal struggles and normal fears. I come from a normal
family with normal problems. I do not have a wild story of overcoming a hard
past- I am just Mairi. I say and do the wrong things, I trust the wrong people, I have
had my heart broken. I am weak and inadequate.
A year ago, God started working in my heart. He started
challenging me to step out and to be willing to do something brave- something
different. He began to call me to new things- things that didn’t make sense,
and things I didn’t have the answers to. I was studying the Bible, preparing to
be in ministry, living comfortably and quietly in my little world. But He
started to speak to my heart. Well, He was always speaking. I just started to
hear. December 26th I flew home.
To the place that has stretched me, has taught me, shaped me, and totally
captured my heart. Getting off that plane I felt that familiar warm breeze and
smell of Dominican air. “Home” my
heart whispered. I had new experiences, made new friends, saw old ones, and
fell in love all over again. The people are warm and resilient. They love
deeply and fully- as tomorrow is not a promise. While their often plan-less
lifestyle may seem irresponsible and careless, I feel we may have something to
learn from them. I could tell story after story of children and families who
amaze me as they grow and change. 8 years of hugs, of tears, of learning, of
goodbyes and hellos, of loving, and of changes.
But then as quickly as I came, I left. I returned to school
and my heart stayed behind.
“Go” He would say.
“It doesn’t make
sense.”
“My ways are not your
ways.”
“People will talk
about me. They wont understand. They’ll ask questions.”
“Perfect love drives
out fear.”
I didn’t sleep, I couldn’t focus. The beautiful girls I was
surrounded by (you know who you are) heard hours of my heart battle my mind. My
insecurities would yell out to me and I would listen to them. I would hear
others voices over His. “But I thought God called you here?” “What are you
going to do there?” “You need to be trained first.” “You seemed to be so happy
here!”
I didn’t have the answers. In fact, I still don’t. But I
know there’s no better place than obedience and believing in what you cannot
see. He has provided for me in incredible ways. Jesus has shown up in the form
of small children who walk holding my hands down garbage filled streets to the
elderly who sit and share their stories with me.
292 days ago, I returned to the DR. These have been the most
stretching 10 months of my life. But He knew where I would be today, and He
knew every step along the way. I came back to serve at Youth With a Mission,
San Pedro in March. I was there for 6 months and learned much. But again in the
summer, He started to ask me to move. He showed me His heart, opened doors in
places I cannot explain, and led me to Esperanza. I struggled again with the
fears of being misunderstood- and I was. It was painful and challenging and
lonely at times. But I know He was there for each night spent in tears, for
each day I felt I just couldn’t go on, and through each decision. I am thankful
that He has trusted me to serve in Esperanza. I am a dreamer, I’ll admit, and
in July, I wrote out my dreams for this Batey. Today I sit in awe- as they have
already been fulfilled. He amazes me. My eyes spilled over with tears in
December as I hugged my girls and my new family saying “see you in a month”.
They were not tears of sadness, for I will hug them again so soon, but tears of
gratitude. A year ago I would have laughed if you had said to me, “Oh yes- in a
year you’ll be living on your own in a busy city, teaching English, and traveling
to and from a Batey outside the city on the back of a motorcycle daily.” But
today I sit and can only laugh at the way He has been so very faithful.
I am Mairi. I am no one extraordinary- but please hear me-
HE IS. I said yes to a God who has promised victory to those who love Him. I
said yes to a God who is strong when I am weak, who calls the willing not the
qualified, Who speaks to those who are willing to listen, who longs to be with
His children, and who will not be satisfied under every ear has heard and every
tongue confess that He is GOD. I wake up often and think, “Today I cannot. No. I can’t do this.” But He reminds me “You didn’t say yes to Mairi- you said yes
to ME.”
Mairi this is amazing. I'm so happy for you! You are such a role model to me. I know we only meet the one week I was there with my youth group but you are truly an inspiration to me. Thank you for being a great leader and teaching us a little Spanish:)
ReplyDelete--Katie Curtis
God is with you! Again God spoke to me through what you wrote, thanks for setting an example. God bless you always. love you and miss you! By Erika <3
ReplyDeleteKatie- thank you for your kind words! It was such a joy to have you with us for a week. Love you!
ReplyDeleteMy beautiful Erika, i just love you! Wishing I could hug you. You're the best.